[Population Modeling] Tutorial on Synthetic Populations

Madhav Marathe mmarathe at vbi.vt.edu
Sat May 28 11:10:24 PDT 2016

Colleagues

We want to share a tutorial at the recently concluded AAMAS meeting in
Singapore. The tutorial is on synthetic populations and their importance
in agent based modeling.
I thought folks on this group might find it of interest. It synthesizes of
work on this topic over a long period; clearly everything is not included due
to the time constraints. The url is

http://staff.vbi.vt.edu/swarup/synthetic_population_tutorial/slides.php

1) We will continue to refine the slides and add more material as we go
along. We are scheduled to give another tutorial in July at IJCAI.

2) We welcome input from you all --- papers, review articles, material you
have presented and above all comments on the same.  We are creating a reference
list and all references could not be cited in the tutorial due to space reasons.
Please email myself and Samarth Swarup (cced here).
The input will be useful as we refine the slides and new material.

3) Please feel free to use the material in your research and teaching. Use
the following citation in such a case.

Generating Synthetic Populations for Social Modeling
Tutorial at AAMAS 2016, Singapore
Samarth Swarup & Madhav V. Marathe,
Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Lab,
Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech
Technical Report: NDSSL-TR-2016-037

4) Finally we are working on a version that talks more about networks,
and connections to health sciences. We will post them as the new set
becomes available.

Regards

Samarth and Madhav