[RNABuilder-help] Re: chains and rnabuilder

Samuel Flores samuelfloresc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:36:45 PST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Pete Kekenes-Huskey wrote:

> Hi Sam,
> Thanks for getting back to me. I will gladly discuss this via the
> rnatoolbox-help list? Should I start a new thread?

Just please send it to the list as I am doing here.

> In the meantime, could you point me to the PSB talk you mentioned?
>
> I've verified that I am using chain Q for my template (based on a
> crystal structure) and C for my input structure, as you did in the
> RNABuilder documentation.

I think you mean that you used C for your model, or threaded chain.  You have no chain C in your input file.

> What seems to happen is that the first chain
> (residues 1-9) seem to assume the template conformation, while the
> remaining residues (10-12) of the second chain appear as a random
> coil.

Your first problem is that all your O2' atoms are in the wrong position.  Easiest thing to do is delete all these atoms, and let RNABuilder guess their positions.

However your main problem is that you have a gap between residues 9 and 10.  The "TER" record suggests you think of these as separate chains, and yet you are using the same chain ID for residues 1-9 and 10-12, which suggests the opposite.  I am going to go with the second interpretation.  The solution is the following.

I pride myself in supporting your ability to read in some rather unusual and chemically improbable structures.  You can leave out any atom you want and let RNABuilder guess its position, with the caveat that any atoms which are children of that atom on the multibody tree will appear in an uncontrolled position.  This is no problem for side chains, but in this case you are missing a main chain atom -- the P atom of residue 10.  I suggest you simply rename "H5T" of residue 10 to "P".  It won't be chemically correct but it will allow you to match the input structure the way you intend.