[Vp-integration-subgroup] Towards submission of the white paper - CONTRIBUTORS - YOUR ACTION IS REQUESTED

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:23:25 PDT 2021

Greeting White paper contributors,

The old Thread that contained discussions towards creations and approval of
the white paper have become too long, so I started a new maling thread.

You can find the old discussion thread here:
https://lists.simtk.org/pipermail/vp-reproduce-subgroup/2021-April/000052.html

To summarize, we have reached a point where 17 authors approved the
following version for submission, pending some minor changes like
spelling and grammar correction.

To avoid any confusion - here is the paper version we approved is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IMEgmdNkx-EsnOjGuegpenSIMmKIkK00Lc8Gred3QxM/edit?usp=sharing

At this point we need to select a venue to submit the paper to. Here is a
short list I collected after incorporating all the suggestions and removed
all venues that had any objections. To your convenience I added additional
notes form personal knowledge - I did not look at issues such as
publication fees for open access - different venues may have different
rules and may require some additional investment, so please look at the
venue you are choosing and learn the limitations/benefits before you vote:

Here is the short list:

   1. Cureus - will require cutting out some references due to limitation
   2. Nature - if you vote for this venue please specify flavour such as
   Nature Scientific Reports
   3. Science
   4. Briefings in Bioinformatics
   5. Trends in Biotechnology - requires distilling the paper
   6. Journal of The Royal Society Interface
   7. Annual Review of Public Health
   8. BMJ
   9. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering
   10. F1000research - if you vote for this this venue please
   specify Gateway / Collection
   11. iScience
   12. bulletin of mathematical biology
   13. Bioinformatics.

I ask that each contributor who has a preference among those Journals reply
to all to this message and pick one venue. Please pick only one considering
all aspects of the venue. You are welcome to include your reasoning, yet
vote towards only one venue.  You are welcome to change your mind - yet
only your last vote will count.

In case of a tie in the number of votes, the venue that got the first
counted vote will be chosen.

After we select, I will put the work to format the submission towards that
venue and include all necessary submission matters. In case of fees, those
who voted for the venue will be responsible for covering publication fees.

At this point I assume no one has any objections to any venues and we are
all ok with submitting this version - so we are just prioritizing according
to the majority of wishes while keeping the process transparent and giving
some incentive to early bird vote.

If any of my assumptions are not correct, please correct me now!

This is the best way I think we can create consensus in such a large group
- and consensus is legally necessary for publication.

I ask that we limit the voting time to approximately one week. So votes
should be cast by 1am April 16th CDT.

I will send another reminder during this week, yet I assume one week is
sufficient to make a simple choice of prefered venue and those not voting
elect to abstain from choosing and prefer the majority choice.

I look forward to your votes.

            Jacob