[Vp-integration-subgroup] White paper submitted

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 03:47:15 PDT 2021

Thanks William,

Your support on the issues I raised are appreciated.

You and several others like James, Jonathan, Sheriff , and John want to
restructure and modify the paper more. Yet you all agreed it is suitable
for submission. This means it is suitable for review.

The only one who actually made changes is Sheriff and it took him a long
time - over a week after everyone else approved.

And my question is, what benefit beyond what we wrote so far a rewrite will
it get us? Is it worth the delay? How long will it take?

There is a positive compounding effect if things get published quickly - do
you really want to lose it in the name of some perfection that was
undefined?

This paper was supposed to be finished by February and this is almost May
now - if we keep rewriting things - the major points will not change - yet
distribution will be delayed- my projection is if we go that path, things
will get published next year - many months of delay that would have a
chance to influence the public.

More than this, can you achieve consensus among all authors after rewrites?
Can you do it quickly?

Only a round of approvals among all contributors took many weeks - how long
will take one round of many rewrites?

Will you personally contribute the time to handle all the changes and
integrate them or is it someone else's responsibility? Each and every
contributor should ask themselves that question. It is a real time sink and
I am not sure how many are ready to take it upon themselves.

If you now tell the group that you are willing to reformat the paper and
achieve consensus within a few weeks and submit it, I will support it and
follow your lead - yet I want to see actions.

And about editors. In the case of Cureus - there is a fee that John and I
were supposed to pay that includes editorial services and open publication
as well as speedy registration in PubMed. I have fulfilled editorial roles
in the past, and I always made sure to provide proper review - you can see
many examples here:
https://groups.google.com/g/public-scientific-reviews

I expect any editor to at least do their work and provide proper review. In
this case the editor failed. There is no proper indication of what is wrong
and clear instructions on how to improve things towards publication. It
would be nice if the editor fixes his response, yet since there is no
guarantee it will happen, we need to move forward.

Currently the consensus point defaults to James needing to decide if he
submits to iScience. If not, then we need to decide on a target venue again.

And unless someone commits the effort to quick restructuring and
achieving consensus and submission in a short time, you are all stuck with
me or someone else pushing it based on the consensus we achieved already.

William, I am outside the academic system - I have no reason to publish in
Journal - in fact I was avoiding those for years since they waste time and
provide litte value beyond a conference publication where you discuss the
paper with people.

Nevertheless, I think what we collected here is very valuable and should be
advertised. It was agreed at the beginning that this should go to a Journal
and I am trying to fulfil this consensus. Yet in my mind, as long as we do
not lose integrity and correctness, style does not matter, and the quicker
we do this the better.

Hopefully this long text will lead into quick action.

                  Jacob