[Vp-integration-subgroup] [Vp-reproduce-subgroup] White paper submission - vote for venue

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Sun May 2 08:42:48 PDT 2021

Hi Gilberto,

Your message must get some response from me.

The self citations the editor wrote about are mine - yet many contributors
have self cited - and self citation is not really an issue. It expresses
the opinion of the persons signed on the paper. I did not see any
objections to those references and please note that my references are
partially to patented technology - so if anyone else does similar work in
the US - they better communicate with me beforehand. And please note that I
did declare conflict of interest multiple times including in the paper -
and once declared publicly this should not be an issue. In fact there are
multiple leads for these subgroups partially at my request to allow proper
function in case of a conflict of interest.

Therefore unless you know how to rewrite the paper without my references,
or convince me to remove those there is no simple way we can address this
editor's comments to his satisfaction.

Specifically the video the editor pinpointed is:

   -

   Jacob. Barhak, Open Source and Sustainability, COMBINE 2020 October 5-9.
   Video: *https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1actGnx6FwvoCcPrrF3qbnO0AmHt10WN6
   <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1actGnx6FwvoCcPrrF3qbnO0AmHt10WN6>*
   starting from minute 13:10. Presentation:
*https://jacob-barhak.github.io/COMBINE2020_OpenSource_upload_2020_10_04.odp
   <https://jacob-barhak.github.io/COMBINE2020_OpenSource_upload_2020_10_04.odp>*

If please check out my arguments in this talk and decide for yourself if
this is not worth as a citable reference. If you want to open the
discussion on licenses, I can add that I personally have been negatively
affected due to licensing issues and my conclusion is that CC0 is a good
solution to share code and data to some cases and there is an increasing
number of entities realizing it - at least one cited in the paper. We can
explore this issue deeper, yet I think the version in the paper is good
enough and the editor rejected the paper due to style issues and not due to
substance and accuracy issues - I think the editor made a bad decision and
in fact my communication with the editor in chief did change the response,
meaning that there was an issue on the side of the Journal - not our group.
This is my personal opinion, yet it is more important for the group to
decide here since we are many people that need to reach unanimous consensus.

Note, however, that I do ask that whoever wants to introduce the changes
will do the hard work of making sure that:
1. They make the edits - I did enough - if you want a change you need to do
the leg work.
2. They comply with the target journal format - this means also making sure
references are properly ordered and cited and do this properly coordinated
amongst all the changes flowing in.
3. Unanimous consensus is established before submission - this is actually
a legal requirement - without that we cannot submit to a 3rd party that
will ask for copyright transfer.
4. We do this in a timely manner and finish in about 4 weeks from now.

So all those who voted, will actually have to act to make your vote
materialize. The sooner you start, the better.

I hope my response is clear enough to understand some of the difficulties
and that we can clear those.

                  Jacob