[Vp-integration-subgroup] White paper Revisions

John Gennari gennari at uw.edu
Mon May 3 14:25:30 PDT 2021

Greetings, all:

Although it is still a long ways until the voting deadline (see email
below from Jacob), I see enough votes for "Revise the manuscript" (#13)
that I felt encouraged to look again at the manuscript, and review it
with an eye toward revisions. As I stated back in March, the general
topic of manuscript is good, and one that I would be very willing to
help with, but at the time, the deadlines were too short for me to be
included as a co-author. Jacob was explicit about welcoming me to join
back in when the paper is ready to be revised, and I am taking this vote
(and his email encouraging us to "start preparing revisions") to mean
that's occurring now.

I have carefully read thru the draft manuscript, and I have many ideas
for improvement. However, it is challenging to provide constructive
criticism to such a large group effort, especially when I do not even
know the majority of people involved. I don't want to be overly
critical--my goal is to provide constructive ideas for improvement. But
all of us have different perspectives about what is and isn't important.
It's really an open question whether there is enough consensus among us
all to write a single, coherent paper.

Those caveats aside, here are the main bullet points of my "thoughts for
improvement".

*1* The paper needs improved organization. The current introduction does
not make clear what the main messages and goals of the manuscript are.
Although not as explicit as I would like, I think the paper does have
some good messages -- indeed, these are captured nicely in Figure 1 and
Table 1. In my view, the current version of the introduction should be
shortened dramatically, allowing the reader to quickly get to Figure 1
and Table 1. In fact, Table 1 provides a nice organization to the meat
of the paper: 13 rows representing 13 problems, which are discussed in
13 subsequent sections. If this organization were made explicit, it
would provide a lot more clarity, and make things much easier for
readers (and reviewers!).

*2* As has been noted by others on this list, the 13 sections are
clearly written by different authors, and thus appear disjointed. One
way to ameliorate this problem would be to have a discussion section
that connects these 13 sections, describing synergies among the 13 rows
of Table 1. In the current manuscript, the discussion section does not
include any additional information or organization of the 13 rows, but
instead is a rough set of notes about "things that were mentioned but
not discussed".

*3* In my opinion, usually organizational issues, such as working
groups, and subgroups thereof, do not really belong in a peer reviewed
scientific piece. Of course, these organizations need to be properly
acknowledged. But why would the general scientific public care that this
paper arose from two (and not 3 or 4) subgroups of people? Better to
move directly to the science without talking about working groups. For
example, it might be an excellent idea to talk about the link between
modeling of multi-cell physiology (in one individual) and the modeling
of viral spread in a population of individuals.

*4* I remain confused about the role of population-based modeling in
this manuscript. One of the working groups is titled "viral pandemics",
but there is very little here that is specific to population-based
models. In a few places (e.g., the section on stochastic modeling) there
are examples drawn from that domain, but otherwise, the 13 rows are
about challenges in modeling generally, and not specific to
population-based modeling. The opening paragraph talks about the SIR
models and about COVID-19, but the rest of the manuscript doesn't follow
through. The paper would be stronger in either direction: (a) Either
talk more about population based modeling and pandemics or (b) changing
the opening paragraph to better fit the broader focus of modeling
physiology and pathology in general.

Those are my main points. I would imagine that they could initiate
debate and disagreement and I'm certainly not going to try to impose my
vision on all of you. I would guess that points 3 and 4 might be the
most controversial; unfortunately, these must be settled in some manner
before we can write a good introduction to the paper.  But if there are
points in the above that all agree on, then I could quickly (within a
week) make an editing pass over the manuscript to implement some of the
above ideas.

I also have more detailed notes about specific section and rows of the
table, but I will save those for later, after I hear back about the above.

Sincerely,

John Gennari