[Population Modeling] An Introduction

Paul Marjoram pmarjora at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:41:13 PST 2015

I have just joined this mailing list, so, as requested, here’s a quick message to introduce myself and my interests in this area.

I am Paul Marjoram, an Assoc. Prof. at Univ. of Southern Cal. I am a computational biologist based in the Biostatistics
Division of the Dept. of Preventive Medicine there, and I come to this list due to work as part of an award to Sergey Nuzdhin
here at USC in which we focus on multi-scale modeling of genetic variation in developmental networks in Drosophila. There we
model how populations of cells in the Drosophila embryo interact to produce patterns of gene expression that are important
to development of the embryo. In addition to this I also have research interests in modeling how populations of cells
interact in growing tumors (the application being to colon cancer), and in agent-based modeling of animal behavior.
In the latter work, we are developing an interest in exploring how variation within the population can effect the emergent
properties of behavior, or the robustness of behavior to external perturbation. Currently, the applications of this work
are also primarily to Drosophila.

I am looking forward to future dialogues with you all.

Cheers, Paul