[Vpcomorbidities-subgroup] White paper COMORBIDITIES SUBGROUP

Gilberto Gonzalez-Parra gilberto.gonzalezparra at nmt.edu
Wed Jan 13 15:33:07 PST 2021

Hello all,

We received some guidance on how to proceed. However, we might have some
changes depending on the situation.

Charge to subgroups:

Deliverable: White paper on the subgroup focus areas.

Due date: February 26, 2021

Steps to be taken:

   1. Subgroup lead(s) *write one or two paragraphs on the topic of the
   subgroup* and the main problems to be focused on. Due to working group
   leads: *January 17*
   2. Email to all subgroup members with this description and call for an
   initial meeting (if not happened yet) on or before *January 26*. Bruce
   can help with address lists and scheduling.
   3. At the initial meeting, discussion of the main topics of a white
   paper that surveys the subgroup topic and lists major problems and
   potential solutions. Refine paragraph describing subgroup focus. Sketch out
   an initial Google doc with these problems. Post it on working group website.
   4. Subsequently, subgroup leads develop a document based on the meeting
   with sections for main topics and find leads for each of the sections.
   Completed by *January 29*.
   5. Leads for main topics draw on other subgroup members to complete an
   initial draft by *February 12*.
   6. Entire subgroup edits, refines, expands document, including
   references etc. Final document delivered to working group leads by *February
   26*.

Regarding step 1 Jacobe wrote a draft paper and I added that we might start
with Covid due to the importance of this topic. However, it is open as it
can be seen below.

COMORBIDITIES SUBGROUP

MSM WORKING GROUP ON MULTISCALE MODELING OF VIRAL PANDEMICS

Any disease has multiple effects on the human body, partially since it can
affect multiple organs or systems. The definition of complications of a
disease is many times determined by medical experts that employ language or
codes such as International Statistical Classification of Diseases and
Related Health Problems (ICD). This is a human decision process that
involves many factors a trained medical professional takes into account,
including education, and experience. Computational models are different
from human decision and therefore there is a need to address how those
address comorbidities.

This subgroup deals with comorbidities such as:

- Diabetes

- Age

- Obesity

- Immune suppression

Issues to explore:

   -

   What comorbidities exist in viral infections and how can we model those?
   -

   How to include human interpretation of modeling?
   -

   Multiscale computational models can model quantities rather than
   states.  How to transform a quantity to a definition of a comorbidity?
   -

   How to model interaction between comorbidities?
   -

   What are examples of existing models known and how do those define
   comorbidities?

Note:

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic these previous points can be addressed
specifically for COVID.

If you have some suggestions you can use the simtk list.

Best,

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>